Here at Seedlings we are constantly making sure that our pupils are up to date with the latest and greatest local and international curriculums available.
No two children learn the same way, that is why we use holistic teaching methods and ethos which includes multi-sensory hands on curriculums, tailored to the individual child and their needs
In Peaches, Lemons, Mangoes and Apples classes, we use the EARLY LEARNING DEVELOPMENT AREAS curriculum which is the South African prescribed curriculum and we use the CAPS curriculum for our Grade R class.
We then add our own Seedlings developed curriculum on top of the government prescribed curriculums ensuring the children receive an advanced, fun, hands on and interactive education that promotes critical thinking, cognitive and physical development. Or curriculum and the way in which it is taught, truly is industry leading and has been praised by many education authorities and primary schools.
To ensure that every child is able to benefit, take part and, to ensure that parents are not obligated to pay for several out sourced extra murals (which can make the cost prohibitive and leave children feeling left out as, they cannot take part in everything), we off a max of 3 outsourced extra murals which parents are welcome to sign their children up for as many or as few of as they wish, these extra murals are
Catrobatkidz, Clamber club and ballet
Then as part of our curriculum we include all the following extra murals into our curriculum activities. All these classes are included in your monthly school fees
- Music and drums programme. Each age group takes part in weekly half hour classes where we learn songs from 4 different languages (English, Afrikaans, Zulu and French), as well as doing a variety of stories, songs and exercises with bongo drums. Peaches class will be doing a separate programme which will involve music with eye-hand and eye-foot co-ordination, rhythm exercise, focal and sensory exercise and more
- Gardening and earth preservation –classes have the opportunity to grow and care for a variety of fruits and vegetables in our own veggie patch
- Yoga / meditation (breathing and focus) – The children take part in weekly classes with a new yoga and meditation story every week. This is a wonderful “discipline” for our pupils to take part it, it teaches them to breath, relax and focus on themselves and can help them resolve conflict within themselves and with others, yoga is a wonderful exercise for children to take part in and also has a great deal of philosophy and studies behind it to show the many benefits of using it in a school environment. We in no way introduce yoga or meditation as a form of spirituality or religious alternative / instruction. Our yoga / meditation is taught very much as a form of exercise and as a tool to improve children’s concentration, focus and flexibility
- The world around us. Children in Apples, Berries and Grade R classes take part in weekly geography lessons which teach about different countries, cultures, landmarks, languages and the food and where possibly, and where possible, we create an authentic meal from that county for the children to try.
- Brain gym – After varies research we discovered a wonderful UK based system called Brain gym which we are proud to say, is now part of our curriculum. We start every morning in class off by doing our brain gym exercises. Studies show that brain gym increase blood flow to the brain, integrates the brain, and re-patterns positive brain patterns and habits.
- Baby hands which is a sign language and language developmental program which children from 3 months – 6 yrs. can take part in. We have had such amazing results with our baby hands classes and we are so proud with how quickly and how well our children have grasped the art of sign language (particularly in Peaches class)
- Basketball – to ensure our little ones have a holistic learning, we include a physical curriculum activity with weekly basketball lessons. The children learn eye-hand co-ordination as well as sportsmanship and working in a team. We have monthly basketball inter – class matches as well